Application of the 3Rs to the severity assessment framework
This module provides an overview of the severity assessment framework, its contribution to improving animal welfare, promoting implementation of the Three Rs and enhancing transparency. It provides the following information on the nature of procedures: the prospective classification of the severity of procedures, why the continuous assessment of severity is a key component of the legislation, and reporting of actual severity. It explains: the principles governing severity assessment, the concept of direct and contingent suffering and the concept of cumulative severity. It is intended to complement, draw together and expand on the information and key concepts from other modules to provide a stand-alone module on severity assessment. The module content aims to be accessible to all those who require a deeper understanding of the severity assessment framework.
Face to Face learning – 5th and 6th February at the Advance Training Centre.
You will cover
- Severity assessment framework
- Severity assessment
- Statistical Reporting
- Reporting of Actual Severity
Key Skills you will develop
- Knowledge and understanding of what constitutes a scientific procedure and how the severity of such procedures is classified prospectively
- Knowledge and understanding of the nature and value of the severity assessment framework
- Ability to apply the severity assessment framework